The wiki has now been upgraded to MediaWiki 1.31.1 with many new extensions and improvements. For a full list of changes, please see the Wiki Upgrade 2018 page.
Minecart Rapid Transit Wiki:Wiki Upgrade 2018
This page outlines all of the improvements and changes done as part of upgrading the wiki to Mediawiki 1.31.1.
See the Special:Version page for detailed version information and a list of all installed extensions.
- 1 New Mediawiki Features
- 2 New and Updated Extensions
- 3 Other Changes
New Mediawiki Features
This upgrade comes with a number of various performance, security, and usability improvements. The two new major features of note are:
Previews of an edited wiki article can now be shown without reloading the whole webpage. This feature does have some remaining bugs, but is turned on by default for the MRT Wiki, and can be turned off in your user preferences.
There is now an "enhanced" recent changes format that groups edits together. Since this new format doesn't look very good on the main page, this feature is turned off by default for the MRT wiki, and can be turned on in your user preferences.
New and Updated Extensions
- Allows users to embed a dynamic view of a wiki category.
- Ensures that new wiki accounts can only be created with a special CAPTCHA password.
- Allows administrators to lookup user IP addresses.
- Allows users to embed videos from YouTube and other video services.
- Allows users to enable JS-based gadgets from their preferences page.
- Allows users to create clickable HTML image maps.
- Allows users to embed predefined HTML forms.
- Search box example:
<inputbox> type=search break=no </inputbox>
- Provides an enhanced user interface for viewing full-size images.
- Click the thumbnails below to view:
- Provides additional logical and string wikitext functions.
- Provides a multipage preview format for uploaded PDFs.
- Embed a single page from a pdf using:
[[File:MRT Line Extensions - Frumple.pdf|page=1|400px]]
<poem>tag for poem formatting.
Dream Deferred by Langston Hughes
- Allows administrators to rename wiki users.
- If you would like to change your wiki username, please ask an administrator.
- Allows for the embedding of Lua scripts.
- See the code example Module:HelloWorld.
- Invoke the code by adding this to your wiki page:
- Hello, world!
- Allows users to add vote counters.
Add this to your page with:
Add this to your page with:
<vote type=1 />
- Provides an enhanced wikitext editing interface.
- New accounts can now create new pages immediately instead of waiting a certain time period and making a minimum number of edits.
- PDF and SVG files can now be uploaded to the wiki.
- Page hit counters were removed in Mediawiki 1.25 and will not be restored.
- Actual wiki user IPs are now recorded properly, staff can now issue IP bans.
- 3692 spam user accounts have been deleted.